Wednesday Open Thread | 60s Genre Music | “Black Power” & Social Change

It’s Hump day, and we’re moving right along with uplifting music of and for CHANGE from the “Black Power” movement.

MISSISSIPPI GODAMN-NINA SIMONE

Ain’t Got No- Simone

Stand- Sly & Fam Stone

Say it Loud, I’m Black & I’m Proud-JB

Gil Scout Heron- The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

SAM COOKE-A CHANGE GONNA COME

SEAL

MOVE ON UP-CURTIS MAYFIELD

About these ads

About Ametia

I am a Spiritual traveler, a devoted wife, mother, sister, lover of dream study, reading, theater, music, dance, and thought-provoking discussions on love, life, humor and service.
This entry was posted in Black History, Current Events, Democracy, Media, Music, News, Open Thread, Politics, Racism and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Wednesday Open Thread | 60s Genre Music | “Black Power” & Social Change

1. Breaking News: Rep.Trey Radel speaking about cocaine conviction. He will take a leave of absence.

Kerry Washington’s on Queen Latifah tomorrow.

3. Guess what I’m enjoying?

Running around

pomegranates

Rev. Al did a segment about how Oprah’s comments have infuriated the right..he had Joy Ann Reid on.

With unapologetic grace, first lady makes history
    By TERRY MCMILLAN | 11/20/13 5:06 AM EST

The following essay is part of a series in which dozens of women will reveal what women they most admire. The series is part of “Women Rule,” a unique effort this fall by POLITICO, Google and The Tory Burch Foundation exploring how women are leading change in politics, policy and their communities. See more essays here.

I knew Michelle Obama was going to be the first lady when I met her in 2005 at Oprah’s big shindig she threw to honor African-American women. We were both youngins’ … It’s not that I’m telepathic, but like my mama always used to say: “Some folks just got it.”

That entire weekend I couldn’t help but notice how regal and poised she was. At almost 6 feet tall, she floated through the crowd in much the same manner Princess Diana and Jackie Kennedy did. The way she held out her hand and really shook yours. I believe she used both to squeeze. Michelle gave me her business card and I emailed to tell her about my premonition. I didn’t hear back until I saw her at the first presidential debate in Washington in 2007. She apologized for not getting back to me. I just pointed to the acrylic podium where her husband would soon be standing and smiled.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/with-unapologetic-grace-first-lady-makes-history-100100.html#ixzz2lEdorkQq

6. Yahtc says:

“We’re moving right along with uplifting music of and for CHANGE from the “Black Power” movement.

I am so appreciative that you posted these great songs, Ametia!

I am going to send you photos later of political buttons of the sixties. (Gotta get my camera first.)

If you wish, you may post them here within my comment.

7. Yahtc says:

(CNN) — White supremacist serial killer Joseph Paul Franklin was executed Wednesday morning after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected his final requests for a stay, the Missouri Department of Public Safety said.

Don Lemon Wins At Black People’s Expense
    Nov 19, 2013
    By Michael Arceneaux

Ever since CNN anchor Don Lemon (pictured) decided to start editorializing, he has not shown himself to be a serious thinker. Lemon has developed a knack for trivializing complicated sociopolitical issues affecting people of color, mostly by offering personal anecdotes to argue positions that could be easily debunked with data, such as when he peddled the silly little idea that if all Blacks just put on a belt and stopped calling each other “nigga,” everything would be okay. Don Lemon should know a style of dress or subtracting words from your lexicon won’t necessarily make you less susceptible to racism. It didn’t go away for him in 2001 when he sued a department store for racially profiling him.

Then there’s the reality that Lemon often proves himself to be just as culturally ignorant as the older White audiences he’s whispering sweet nothings (about those wayward Blacks) to. You know, like the time Don Lemon came out of the closet and threw Black people under the bus by agreeing that Black people are more homophobic than Whites. Meanwhile, Blacks make up the largest bloc of the LGBT community. As in identified gay. Yeah, there goes your little “down-low-brother” myth too.

You would think one of the most-visible gay Black men in media would be fighting the stereotypes plaguing people like him and the collective community to which he is a part of.

Instead, he’s been nothing but a boil on the butt of common sense — cheerleading vigorously for the ideas from the greatest hits collection of systematic racism.

Folks,

I’d appreciate some prayers for Peanut’s mother.

– – — ‏@N221GreenLady2
    @#DonLemonShowTitles – –My Black Power Salute Is a WAVE -Yoo! Hoo!

– -☺@N221GreenLady2
    @#DonLemonShowTitles – – –The Creature From The Black Lagoon –Asked For Bleach

– -☺ ‏@N221GreenLady2
    @#DonLemonShowTitles — –Black Like Me –Hated It.

— ☺@N221GreenLady2
    ‏@#DonLemonShowTitles – – -A White Man – Trapped In a Black Man’s Body.

PBS- The Mini Series

Roots
    The Thorn Birds
    Rich Man, Poor Man

Good Morning, Everyone :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE NINA SIMONE!

Here you go, Rikyrah

15. Yahtc says:

Good Morning, SG2!

16. TyrenM says:

Good Morning,
    I picked today to wear my red, black and green to work. And looky here looky here. Life!

Happy Hump day, Everyone! :-)