Friday Open Thread | Country Music | Mark Chesnutt

Mark-ChestnutMark Nelson Chesnutt (born September 6, 1963 in Beaumont, Texas) is an American country music singer. Chesnutt recorded and released his first album, Doing My Country Thing, in the late-1980s on private independent record label, Axbar Records, with the vinyl album version now a collector’s item. His national debut came in 1990 with the single, “Too Cold at Home”, the debut single from his second album which was also titled Too Cold at Home.

Chesnutt has charted more than thirty singles on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs charts, including eight No. 1 singles.[1] He has also released eleven studio albums and a Greatest Hits package. His first three albums — Too Cold at Home (1990), Longnecks & Short Stories (1992), and Almost Goodbye (1993) — and his 1996 Greatest Hits album have all achieved RIAA platinum certification in the United States, while 1994’s What a Way to Live was certified gold. His album, Rollin’ with the Flow, was released on June 24, 2008. Its title track and lead-off single was a cover of Charlie Rich‘s hit single from 1977. The latest album from Mark, Live From The Big D was released on Mark’s newly formed record label Nada Dinero Records on March 6, 2012.

This entry was posted in Country Music, Current Events, Music, News, Open Thread and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to Friday Open Thread | Country Music | Mark Chesnutt

fabulous comment at POU about FLOTUS:

Ellie Hass

Itgurl, thanks for your comment about Chirlane deBlasio and talking to the press. A lot has been written here by smarter and more thoughtful people, about what I want to talk about.
    This is a good a time as any after all these years of participating on this blog to share a little about myself.

My mother is a black woman and my father is Jewish. I look like my father’s people, bear my father’s Jewish name proudly, but identify fully as a black woman.
    I am extremely protective of our First Lady Michelle Obama, and fiercely support her, not the least because in her I see my mother and everything she went through as the black wife of a prominent Jewish man. My mother was never good enough for them. The ‘them’ being white, black, other. There were those who resented her for being the love of my father’s life. There were others who never accepted her because she was the wrong color and beneath them. There were some prominent black couples who sucked up to my father and snubbed my mother because she didn’t have that generational black pedigree. I can’t begin to tell the many times when I would be pushed ahead to my father’s side, while my mother tagged along behind. Her daughter was considered more acceptable because of the way I looked. His staff never hid their disdain for her. I promptly took care of that and them once I was old enough.

What Mrs Obama faces is real. She is up against both insiders and outsiders alike. It is not ‘A war on women’ as the Reid Report weakly tried to explain away the other day. The war women like my mother and Mrs Obama face is evil, deeper, constant, hateful, personal and strips you of your dignity and in some instances, your rightful place at your now successful husband’s side. It is driven by jealousy, hate, envy, racism and much more, and all bad. Still nothing and nobody is doing much about it. We prefer to chuck it up to a war on women. Pretend that what Mrs Obama faces is similar to what Hillary Clinton, Wendy Davis face. Even if we assume that to be true, which it isn’t, these women have been defended from the get-go against the slightest hint of insult or smear. Round tables are immediately called to address every perceived slight, outrage immediately expressed by all, apology demanded and fundraisers are had to defend their honor.

I’m still waiting to see one, yes, one, deep expression of outrage or heartfelt push-back against those who’ve very personally insulted and mortally assaulted Mrs Obama on a daily basis for seven years and counting. Skirting around it once in a blue moon for a second, on the sideshow on Politics Nation or HardBall, and only as a segue into a Hillary 2016 discussion, is not it. I read here a week ago or so, where someone in speaking up for Hillary Clinton wanted to know what exactly Mrs Obama needed defending against. If anyone who participates on this blog has to ask, then we as black women are in deeper doo-doo than I previously imagined.

LUVVIE’S AT IT AGAIN

BWA HA HA HA HA H AH AHA
    ……………………….

What I Imagine Kanye and Kim’s Wedding Day Will Be Like
    [ 29 ] May 23, 2014 | Luvvie

Word on these streets is that the King and Queen of Can’t Have a Seat (Kanye West and Kim Kardashian) will be getting married Saturday in Florence, Italy. These two do not know how NOT to be extra, which means the wedding will probably be overly gaudy, full of the who’s who of Hollywood and fashion and super expensive.

It’s all so exciting, and I’m REALLY looking forward to the fittings, the tantrums, the tears! Kim will be there too!

The Outfits (Alphets)

How I imagine the day will go is this: Kanye will have his tuxedo flown in from Egypt, because it had to be taken to the Pyramids for a special blessing beforehand. It will be made of silk that was hand-sewn by a toothless 100-year old woman who lives in the Appalachian Mountains. He will drape it with King Jaffe Joffer’s lion fur because there is nothing less on this special day.

His shoes will be Lanvin, with royal pony hair. His main accessory will be his trademark scowl, and maybe his gold grill.

One-And-Done: How a Judge’s Ruling Could End Scott Walker’s Governorship
    By: Trevor LaFauci more from Trevor LaFauci
    Friday, May, 23rd, 2014, 12:15 pm

As Republicans are currently grasping at straws in their never-ending attempt to somehow impeach President Barack Obama, a real scandal is brewing at the state level for one of the Republican’s, and more specifically Tea Party’s, golden boys.

For Koch-backed Wisconsin governor Scott Walker, his re-election campaign just got a whole lot tougher.

News broke late Thursday that thousands of pages of public records, acquired over a 33-month secret John Doe investigation involving Walker’s campaign aides, must be turned over by prosecutors to Milwaukee County. The ruling was made by retired Appeals Court Judge Neil Nettesheim, the man who had originally ordered the investigation closed in March of 2013. Should those records be turned over, copies of the them may be requested by the public thanks to Wisconsin’s open records law. Already, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has penned an editorial to Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele, asking him to release the records for the public to see. Should Abele release the records, they more than likely will end the political career of Scott Walker.

folks on another blog clutching the pearls because I called Ben Carson a Slave Catcher.

My response:

You see Carson as benign. I see him as the threat that he is. He is a Slave Catcher, plain and simple. He is a long line of those who would sell out Black folks. He is a real life Uncle Ruckus. He is a real life Stephen from Django.

If he was born as a bougie Black, and his Jack and Jill parents paid for everything, that would be one thing.

But, that is not Carson’s story.

He literally got EVERYTHING because of the ‘Guvmint’.

The ‘Guvmint’ paid his education.

He’s not like a promising poor Black student, that if they’re educated today, will be burdened with a pile of student loans.

Carson is part of that group of Black students with promise that got a FREE education.

Carson, with his backstory , if he were growing up today, would be in the SCHOOL TO PRISON PIPELINE. The violent ‘indiscretions’ of his youth that were looked over because folks thought he had ‘promise’ back in the day, wouldn’t mean shyt in today’s ‘ no tolerance’ policy that permeates our schools. His ass woulda been expelled and he would’ve been scrambling trying to just complete his high school education in a ‘transition’ high school. Someone gave HIM a chance to develop his ‘ promise’, and instead of paying it forward, he wants to pull up the ladder, and condemn those nowadays that just need someone – anyone to see their ‘ promise’. He was so ‘special’, while today, he would be just another Thug from the Projects.

THAT is the reason for the depth of my contempt for him.

As I’ve said before, I don’t give a rat’s ass about Clarence Thomas’ self-hatred. Why he gets contempt is that he takes out HIS self-hatred on the rest of the Black Community. And Carson’s willing to shin and grin and do the same.

Republicans Are Suing The FEC to Give The Koch Brothers More Power To Steal Your Vote
    By: Jason Easley and Sarah Jones
    Friday, May, 23rd, 2014, 1:21 pm

To take another axe to the nearly non-existent campaign finance rules in a post Citizens United world, the Republican National Committee sued the Federal Election Commission on Friday according to the AP, because they want to be able to raise unlimited money, like their buddies the Super PACs. “Republican officials emphasized the move was to seek parity with super PACs, which have grown in influence since 2010 and can help a few deep-pocketed donors exercise incredible influence.”

Now that the court has given Super PACs so much “freedom” with “speech”, the RNC feels it’s being treated unfairly and requests the same alleged freedoms of speech. Here’s how to keep moving that goal post, per the AP:

Obama plans trip to Indian reservation, officials say
    By Sari Horwitz, Friday, May 23, 4:14 PM E-mail the writer

President Obama is planning to travel to a Native American reservation in North Dakota in June, a rare visit by a sitting U.S. president to Indian country, according to officials familiar with the plans.

The Obama administration has supported a series of measures to improve the welfare of Native Americans. The president has also signed the Tribal Law and Order Act to address the high crime rate in tribal communities and the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013, which included a historic provision to allow the nation’s 566 federally recognized tribes to prosecute non-Indians who commit certain crimes of violence against Native women.

Massachusetts Passes Major Voting Rights Expansion

By Nicole Flatow May 23, 2014 at 9:00

When it comes to voting, Massachusetts hasn’t passed many of the progressive reforms to ease ballot access that have been implemented in many other blue states. But on Thursday, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) signed into law one of the most effective voting changes for both cutting down on election-day chaos, and giving access to particularly disenfranchised groups.

Massachusetts’ new early voting law allows voters to go to the polls up to 11 days before Election Day. It also includes other changes meant to encourage voting, including allowing teens to pre-register at age 16 or 17, and creating an online portal for checking voter registration status. The early voting period is particularly vital for the elderly, low-income voters, and others who have limited means for getting to the polls. African American voters are also significantly more likely to vote early, particularly on Sundays when churches lead voter drives.

The final version of the bill did omit one crucial provision tied to increased turnout. The legislature removed a provision in earlier versions that allowed same-day registration before sending it to Gov. Patrick.

Massachusetts becomes the 33rd state to implement early voting, joining many deep red states like Utah and Louisiana that already allow voting before election day.

Federal judge: John Conyers back on primary ballot
    Secretary of State agrees with Wayne County Clerk’s ruling, but federal judge issues injunction

Despite the county and state’s rulings that he’s not eligible for the ballot, a federal judge has ruled Rep. John Conyers (D-Detroit) will appear on the 2014 primary ballot.

The veteran lawmaker appealed a ruling by the Wayne County Clerk that he didn’t submit enough valid nominating petitions to qualify for ballot. The Secretary of State seconded that ruling with a report released Friday, denying the appeal.

“Wayne County Clerk Cathy Garrett correctly determined that Congressman Conyers’ failure to submit a minimum of 1,000 valid signature renders him ineligible to appear on the August 5, 2014 primary election ballot,” the Secretary of State report concluded.

from the First Lady of NYC

THANK YOU!

Thank you for having my back.

Thank you for sharing your own stories about the challenges – and the joys! – of parenthood.

Thank you for turning a tabloid moment into a teachable moment.

When I woke up on Monday morning and read the stories suggesting that I was a bad mom, my first reaction was to laugh. If there’s one thing I’ve learned as First Lady, it’s that you can’t take everything you read personally.

That’s not to say it wasn’t hurtful. It’s never fun to be insulted, especially as a mother.

And that’s not to say I wasn’t indignant. I’m far from perfect, but I’ve always done my very best, and I’m so proud of the young adults Chiara and Dante are growing into.

More than anything, I was worried. I knew the vast majority of mothers would see through the bluster and relate to my experience. My worries were focused on all of the young women who are still figuring out their place in the world. Would they buy into the message that there’s only one acceptable way to be a good mother? Would a more complicated truth be obscured by banner headlines and snark?

It didn’t take long for my questions to be answered. The response to the articles was overwhelming. Women from around New York City, around our nation, stood up and spoke out. Every voice was unique, but the underlying message was remarkably consistent: Parents deserve more respect.

Adjusting to the responsibility of parenthood takes time. The changes in life are swift – some expected, some not. There are many different ways to be a good mother – so we choose the one that works best. And when we have moments of doubt, as we all inevitably do, it is healthy to share with others. No one should be belittled or criticized for that.

Again, on behalf of my entire family, thanks for your support. We still have a lot of work to do, but we’re now one step closer to a future where women can speak honestly about their lives.

• Ametia says:

Memo to FLONYC: Quit talking to the “Miss Anns” They of all people don’t have any love for you.

FLOTUS ain’t trying to give these folks any fodder for fuckery.

• rikyrah says:

you say what itgurl said tonight at POU:

itgurl_29

Chirlane DeBlasio needs to stop talking so openly with these white female “journalists”. This is the second time her words have been deliberately misconstrued and caused media backlash against her and her family. First with that bitter old Maureen Dowd and now with this Lisa Miller broad. She better learn from FLOTUS that you cannot give these journalists, ESPECIALLY these white females, NOTHING. FLOTUS pays them dust and Chirlane needs to do the same.

• Ametia says:

These BECKIES are so transparent.

went to see two movies today

X-Men

LOVED IT.

LOVED IT.

it was amazing. Best X-Men movie, period. I really enjoyed it. It was so much fun. I did stay until the end of credits, and I don’t get what I saw.

Belle

I enjoyed it too. You never see a period piece with the focal point being a Black woman. Really liked it, and loved the romance in it.

• Ametia says:

Belle was POWERFUL and nuanced. If you blinked you missed the subtleties.

Yeah BABY, hubby and I are going to see X-MEN this weekend. We both share a deep passion for Sci-Fi

• rikyrah says:

Ametia,

It was deceptively powerful. Just sitting here thinking about it, there were so many themes that it covered, but not over the head, just a continuous slap upside the head.

And, when you think about romantic movies, and the fact that we live in such a oversexed era now, and our ‘couple’ didn’t even friggin’ kiss until the final moments of the film…wow.

Tell me you didn’t go, YOU GO, BOY!!!

when her Boo declared his love in the carriage. It was so romantic and powerful.

You are gonna love X-Men. Best one yet.

• Ametia says:

One of those slaps was the fact that Elizabeth , the white daughter had to be courted and married/auctioned off much like a SLAVE, because she didn’t have a dowry.

Dido, Belle, didn’t have to marry for money, her father left her well off. and she was KEENLY aware of her place in a world that looked at and treated her and her black mother differently because they were black. RACISM, SEXISM, CLASS, all covered in Belle, and BELLE was astute in all their roles in that society.

McConnell: Ky. Exchange Unconnected to Health Law
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. May 23, 2014 (AP)
    By ADAM BEAM Associated Press

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell wants to repeal the Affordable Care Act, but he would not say Friday what that would mean for the 413,000 Kentuckians who have health insurance through the state’s health care exchange.

McConnell told reporters that the fate of Kynect — Kentucky’s state-run health insurance exchange — is not linked to the federal health care law. But the exchange would not exist if not for the federal law that created it.

Asked if a repeal of the health care law would mean Kynect should be disbanded, McConnell said: “I think that’s unconnected to my comments about the overall question.”

“What I would have done instead is first of all tear down the walls, the 50 separate silos in which health insurance is controlled, and pit all the health insurance companies against each other in a national competitive market,” he said. “Competition almost always works to keep prices down and quality up.”

Mitch McConnell Softens Opposition To Obamacare
    BY IGOR VOLSKY MAY 23, 2014 AT 4:39 PM UPDATED: MAY 23, 2014 AT 6:15 PM

In a stunning reversal, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) suggested on Friday that he would not support repealing Kynect, Kentucky’s state-run health care exchange. The marketplace has been a model for effective Affordable Care Act implementation, enrolling over 400,000 people in health insurance coverage since October.
    McConnell reiterated his support for repealing the Affordable Care Act at a press conference in Louisville, Kentucky, but would not say if Kentuckians enrolled in coverage should lose insurance. Responding to questions from WHAS reporter Joe Arnold about whether the state’s exchange should be dismantled, McConnell said, “I think that’s unconnected to my comments about the overall question here.”

The answer is in stark contrast to McConnell’s past pledges to repeal the law “root and branch” and claims that reform is “not fixable.” Still, this isn’t the first time McConnell or his allies have sought to soften the senator’s stance on the Affordable Care Act. In February, ads released by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce on McConnell’s behalf portrayed the Senate Minority Leader as “leading the fight to fix this Obamacare mess” without mentioning the words “replace” or “repeal.” Since the end of the first open enrollment period, a growing number of Republican candidates have avoided discussing outright repeal or answering questions about their states’ Medicaid expansion proposals.

Youtube version

OMG LMBAO

Whose Ombre Crochet Shorts Are These? Also: Why?
    May 23, 2014 | Luvvie

Sometimes I be minding my own business when I come across reasons to facepalm. Just look at the picture below and shake your head with me. Or maybe some of you wanna getchu a piece. I don’t know your life.

Morning Plum: Obama slams ‘false equivalence’ media

At a fundraiser last night, President Obama unleashed a surprisingly spirited and comprehensive attack on both-sides-to-blame media coverage. While he has taken issue with Beltway coverage before, what was particularly noteworthy this time is that he made the case that “false equivalence” coverage is fundamentally misleading in the sense that it obscures the basic imbalance that currently exists between the two parties.

It’s worth quoting at length (per the White House transcript): http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/05/23/morning-plum-obama-slams-both-sides-to-blame-media/

• Ametia says:

The only way we can all be HELPED, is for the idiots to stop electing idiots who dismantle, decimate, and destroy policy and legislation that protect our basic HUMAN RIGHTS.

• Ametia says:

What led you to medical school, Ben Carson? MY PARENT’S TAX PAYING DOLLARS!!!
      Your memory is mighty short, MOFO.

• CarolMaeWY says:

The voters won’t be. . .

• CarolMaeWY says:

That is a really stupid answer. Didn’t he have a passion for science for people and helping them. I don’t know if he has a specialty but it sounds like money. Did his parents force him with their tax money to go?

• Ametia says:

@CarolMae. Carson’s specialty is neurosurgeon. He was one of the country’s best, but somewhere along the way, he developed a BRAIN DRAIN about his journey in achieving success.

Angela Basset to Direct New Lifetime Whitney Houston-Bobby Brown Movie
    By: Breanna Edwards| Posted: May 23 2014 8:56 AM

The film, scheduled to debut in 2015, will explore the ill-fated relationship between the beloved singer and her spouse.

Ametia, SG2,
    Can you all find the part of Joe Madison’s show from today where he discusses how the GOP is preparing to impeach the President, if they take the Senate

Ben Carson is a Slave Catching Sambo
    Part of the Clarence Thomas School. Get all the government help, and then turn around and pull the ladder up, so that others can’t be helped.

President Obama to nominate Julian Castro as HUD secretary
    BY KATIE ZEZIMA-May 22, 2014

President Obama is scheduled to announce Friday that he will nominate San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro as the next secretary of Housing and Urban Development. Castro will replace Shaun Donovan, who Obama will name as head of the White House Office of Management and Budget, a White House official said.
    Castro, 39, is serving his third term as mayor of San Antonio. He is considered a rising star in Democratic politics and delivered the keynote speech at the 2012 Democratic National Convention.

20. Yahtc says:

Olivia Ward Bush Banks was born on this day in 1869. From Wikipedia:

“Olivia Ward Bush Banks (May 23, 1869 – 1944) was an American author, poet and journalist of African-American and Montaukett Native American descent. Ward celebrated both of her heritages in her poetry and writing. She was a regular contributor to the Colored American magazine and wrote a column for the New Rochelle, New York publication, the Westchester Record-Courier.”

Excerpt from her poem on a well-known, great leader (entitled “Wendell Phillips” )

“Wendell Phillips”

O, direful was the need in that sad hour
    And blessed was the sound of that rare voice
    Of those strong words of challenge and demand
    To save a Nation from itself.
    Full willingly this tender sapling bowed,
    Yet did not break beneath the weight of scorn,
    Beneath the hatred of his fellow-man
    Nor would not hold his peace.

Did anyone see that Hayes had on Ben Carson last night

22. Good morning, everyone!

Happy Friday!