1. #TakeAKnee is a movement started last year by NFL player Colin Kaepernick. Quarterback Colin Kaepernick, 29, began kneeling during the national anthem last NFL season as a demonstration to protest (police brutally killing unarmed black men) the current treatment of African Americans and other minorities in the U.S. His decision has lead to several other players “taking a knee” during the “Star-Spangled Banner” before games.
2. President Donald Trump has specifically attacked the players who are choosing to kneel. President Donald Trump, 71, said yesterday, Sept. 22, during a rally in Alabama that NFL team owners need to fire players who choose to participate in #TakeAKnee. “Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a b**ch off the field right now. He is fired. He’s fired,’” Trump said. Click here to see pics of celebs protesting Trump.
3. The NFL didn’t take kindly to Trump’s statement about its players who choose to protest. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell slammed Trump’s “divisive” comments today, Sept. 23. “Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities,” Roger said in a statement.
… trump taking a veiled shot at colin kaepernick, says owner should say: "get that sonofabitch off the field right now… he's fired!!" pic.twitter.com/ttbOd0VrPG
— fake nick ramsey (@nick_ramsey) September 23, 2017
4. More players may be taking a knee after Trump’s Steph Curry diss today. The president came after NBA player Steph Curry, 29, when he disinvited him to the White House via Twitter today — after Steph said he didn’t want to come. There was instant backlash from other players, including Steph’s teammate LeBron James, 32.
5. The NAACP supports those who are protesting. Specifically in response to Trump’s decision to disinvite Steph, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is promoting the #TakeAKnee demonstrations. Their official Twitter account sent out a message after Trump’s tweet writing, “hero dissed by a …. fill in the blank,” including the hashtag #TakeAKnee. Clearly they want every athlete who chooses to get involved to take a knee!
President Obama warned Zuckerberg about fake news on social media during the campaign.
But they respect the anthem by yelling fuck you? The don’t give a ISH about the anthem. They want to tell black people to accept injustice.
From the movie Selma:
FOLLOW THE MONEY
Not one bit surprised the Patriots gave $$ to that POS
It’s football Sunday, and I have a pit in my stomach, and a sickening sense of deja vu. Who knows what the day will bring?
I do know the source of my disquiet. It is the stench of bigotry as a demagogue stirs the potent cauldron of racial division. I want to say, this is so unnecessary. We have so many other things we should be worrying about. But of course now this is real, and it must be called out. This is an age when no one can be neutral. To remain silent in the face of race-baiting is to be complicit. And I have seen the cost of complicity. It is ugly.
On Friday night, and then in a chain of tweets (what else) President Trump targeted African American athletes for provocation and ridicule. He has called into question their Americanness, as he called into question the Americanness of his predecessor President Obama. Perhaps what is saddest about this moral cowardice is that Mr. Trump may derive some political gain from these attacks amongst his supporters, but he fails in the test of leadership. Big time. For a President to be doing this – pouring gasoline on the embers of racial resentment – is really unspeakable. Instead of trying to reduce the potentially explosive emotions about race, he is trying to exacerbate them for his own gain.
I have seen this game plan before. My mind is transported across the decades. I hear the adjective “uppity”, and much worse. I see the mouths of authority curl with disdain and mutter “what do you think you’re doin’, boy?” – the last word spit out in disgust.
I feel time click into rewind, to when African Americans weren’t thought of as being “smart” enough to play quarterback, to when there was a “gentlemen’s agreement” amongst college basketball coaches to the total number of African American players on the court. Backwards still to all-white teams, and all-white leagues. I remember Jackie Robinson, and a time before someone of his skin color dared to think he could earn a living as an athlete in the United States.
I know this history. And so does Donald Trump. He understands how salient the trope of the “angry black man” is. It was said of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and other now-revered leaders of the civil rights struggle. It is so ingrained in our history that it can become resonant even in those who say they aren’t bigoted. So Mr. Trump plucks at it. He knows that he can use the American flag as a symbol of division and not unity. So he sows that thought.
I grant that there are many who are offended by players taking a knee during the National Anthem. That is their right, as it is the right of those who protest to have their speech protected. This is how we discuss our differences peacefully in a democracy. But calling out these players as S.O.B.s (but using the actual profane words) who should be fired, that’s a pointed attack on our Constitutional rights. And it is summoning the dark shadows of centuries of racial stereotyping. Let’s just say I have seen plenty of white S.O.B.s in sports who have been given awards rather than pink slips.
President Trump is not trying to win over the majority of the American people. He wants to animate his base and bask in its approval. Will his supporters in Congress continue to stand by in tell-tale silence? Will his donors, including some of the owners of professional sports teams?
We are not a nation of majority bigots. The strident ranks of the intolerant can be overwhelmed by enough people agreeing that this is not who we are, or who we want to be. Mr. Trump’s cheers can be drowned out by a chorus of justice.
And one final thought, we have seen these distractions before. As Mr. Trump dominates the news cycle over race, as he issues bellicose threats to North Korea, one wonders what bombshells may be brewing in the Russia investigation, which seems to be gaining speed and scope.
Yes; because when all is said and done, FOOTBALL is here to stay.
#45- BOBBY III is closing in on you, MOFO.
How about the press ask #45 how’s that Russian investigation going with his CABAL, instead of harassing BLACK ATHELTES?
AW, he got permission. This is where we are as a country, and where we have been.
He’s fearful of losing job.
We don’t have to be acceptable to white supremacists!
How about topping politicizing sports with the National Anthem, instead of looking for players and anyone else that does not want to stand and sing the damn song.
This SMARMY mofo, right here….
I love this. How do you get to be 97 and still be sharp as a razor? Not many do.
Grandpa’s lived long enough to know what it takes to live long enough.
Willie Lynch tactic. It’s meant to terrorize. #TakeTheKnee. We are not on a plantation.
this coon here!
And this surprises you?
NO SHIT SHERLOCK
Ladies, we already knew. We tried to warn the others. He was definitely completely unable to fill the real President Obama’s shoes and his dumb butt knows this.
National Anthem lyrics
“No refuge could save the hireling & slave
from terror of flight or the gloom of the grave
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave”
o TRUE, Mr. Robison. YOU.EARNED.IT. That’s the deal, We aren’t handed anything. We still have to FIGHT FOR OUR BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS, OR LIVES, in 2107
@WCRhoden is tearing #BruceLavell ass UP. I mean it’s a nasty filthy ass whupping. #TakeTheKnee
no lie told
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I guess we’ll see if Colin gets a job offer.
Well, the NFL owners don’t see black and white, they see green. They know folks are turning against them with all the bad press they’ve been getting, and they have no monetary reason to support Trump.
#JesseWilliams: If you have no interest in the equal rights of black people, do not make suggestions for those who do. SIT DOWN! #TakeAKnee
Bully boys, not just evil, dumb too.
On this day sixty years ago President Dwight Eisenhower addressed the nation to inform its citizens that he was sending the 101st Airborne Division to Little Rock, Arkansas to aid in the enforcement of desegregation of Central High School.
Here is a video of Eisenhower’s full address:
Video: “[TRAILER] Little Rock, 1957 – The Civil Rights Battleground “
The opening ceremony for the National Museum of African American History and Culture took place a year ago today (on September 24, 2016).
Good Morning,Everyone 😐😐😐
Good morning, Rikyrah. How is your sister doing?
She’s at home. Going to physical therapy several times a week. She’s getting better everyday.
That’s such good news! So glad she is getting better and better each day.
I will continue to keep her in my prayers
Wishing all of you a Good Morning and a joyful day with family and friends!