Thursday Open Thread | Brooks & Dunn | Country Music Week

Brooks & DunnBrooks & Dunn was an American country music duo consisting of Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn, who were both vocalists and songwriters. The duo was founded in 1990 through the suggestion of Tim DuBois. Before the foundation, both members were solo recording artists. Brooks wrote number one singles for John Conlee, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and Highway 101; both he and Dunn also charted two solo singles apiece in the 1980s, with Brooks also releasing an album for Capitol Records in 1989.

Signed to Arista Nashville in 1991, the duo recorded ten studio albums, one Christmas album, and three compilation albums for the label. They also released fifty singles, of which twenty went to number one on the Hot Country Songs charts and nineteen more reached top ten. Two of these number-one songs, “My Maria” (a cover of the B.W. Stevenson song) and “Ain’t Nothing ‘Bout You“, were the top country songs of 1996 and 2001, respectively, according to the Billboard Year-End charts.

This entry was posted in Current Events, Music, News, Open Thread and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to Thursday Open Thread | Brooks & Dunn | Country Music Week

Tweety served up the HATERS this evening.

Ametia, SG2,

can someone make Tweety’s

Let Me Finish

from tonight into a watchable video here?

it was a good one.

Employee: Paula Deen wanted black staffers to dress in ‘Aunt Jemima outfit’
    By David Edwards
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 14:33 EDT

Paula Deen ordered African-American workers to “dress in an old-style Aunt Jemima outfit” and ring a dinner bell, according to a woman who is still employed at the disgraced cook’s Georgia restaurant.

Following Deen’s dramatic fall from grace after her admission that she had used racial slurs, The New York Times‘ Kim Severson went to Savannah to check out the former food network host’s crumbling empire. Severson spoke to Dora Charles, a black cook who helped Deen open her Lady & Sons restaurant over 20 years ago.

“She said, ‘Stick with me, one day if I get rich, you’ll get rich,’” Charles explained. “It just passed me by. You know, I’m not going to run behind her and say, ‘You promised me, you promised me. Where my half? Where my part?’ You know? It wasn’t all about that. Actually, all I was looking for was a good salary.

The Right’s Latest Scheme to Sabotage Obamacare

BY JONATHAN COHN

It was one thing when Obamcare critics started fighting attempts to educate people about the law’s insurance options—warning sports leagues not to promote the new benefits, for example, or criticzing states undertaking outreach efforts of their own. Now some conservatives are taking it a step farther. They’re launching campaigns designed to discourage young people from using the law to get insurance. Via David Morgan of Reuters:

FreedomWorks and Americans for Prosperity, a conservative issue group financed by billionaire brothers David and Charles Koch, known for funding conservative causes, are planning separate media and grassroots campaigns aimed at adults in their 20s and 30s – the very people Obama needs to have sign up for healthcare coverage in new online insurance exchanges if his reforms are to succeed.

“We’re trying to make it socially acceptable to skip the exchange,” said Dean Clancy, vice president for public policy at FreedomWorks, which boasts 6 million supporters. The group is designing a symbolic “Obamacare card” that college students can burn during campus protests.

Brian Beutler is aghast. So is Kevin Drum: “What’s next? A campaign to get people to skip wearing seat belts? To skip using baby seats in cars?” Drum also wants to know whether FreedomWorks “plans to help out the first person who takes them up on this and then contracts leukemia.” A good quesiton, that.

Of course, Obamacare critics will justify these steps if you ask them. Obamacare will wreack such havoc, and so violates American concepts of liberty and freedom, that extreme measures to undermine it are worthwhile. And this thinking is not limited to rabble-rousing groups like FreedomWorks. Leaders of the Republican Party are now threatening to shut down the government if Obama doesn’t agree to defund the health care law. It’s the same basic premise.

If you’re among those people who agrees about the inherent malevolence of Obamacare, then this might all seem very reasonable. (Hey, they burned draft cards to protest the Vietnam War—and Obamacare is just as awful!) But if you don’t see things that way, you might be wondering if this is the way opposition parties and movements typically act when a law they don’t like is about to take effect. The answer is no. Democrats certainly didn’t respond this way to the Medicare drug benefit—a point made here previously and more recently by Norm Ornstein, from the American Enterprise Institute, who knows as much about congressional history as anybody in Washington. He writes in National Journal:

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Female Trayvon Martins of America and The Myth of ‘Unbelonging’
    By T.M. Bonner

This is a story about Trayvon Martin as an African-American girl.

As an African-American girl, I never faced the constant threat of death and violence through racial profiling at the rate that African-American boys and men do at the hands of racists, police officers, and wannabe cops with a complex like George Zimmerman. But what can’t be lost as the nation confronts the underlying social injustices of the Trayvon Martin case is this: African-American girls and the male Trayvons of this country share the experience of this notion that we ‘don’t belong’ certain places as African-Americans. These invisibly-drawn boundaries based in racism, fear, and ignorance may manifest differently sometimes in the experiences of African-American men and women, boys and girls, but it is, nonetheless, a problem that crosses gender lines in the African-American experience.

………………………………………..

As an adult, this message of not belonging extended to places where I would choose to live, work, and play. One day, a female friend and I wanted to take advantage of a dollar movie special that just happened to be located in a mostly white ethnic neighborhood in Chicago. Well, a group of bat-wielding white teens had other ideas, as they chased us down the block and out of the neighborhood. The message: black women don’t belong where there is a white ethnic neighborhood.

Just when I was tempted to try to pin all the blame on isolated incidents in my much-beloved hometown of Chicago, lo and behold! I couldn’t escape these messages of not belonging in other cities and states, either. When I was an intern at a daily newspaper in Fort Wayne, IN, I was flat-out refused service at a mom-and-pop bodega-style store because “we don’t serve (n-word) here.” Lastly, when I was later working as a reporter for a daily newspaper in the same state of Florida that produced George Zimmerman, I sat down after a long day of work to finally eat at a restaurant. But I was refused service by a waitress who didn’t want to serve a (n-word).

For the sake of brevity and out of respect for your time, I will spare you the myriad of other stories I have of people telling me that I don’t belong places. Now, before anyone seeks to ‘Paula Deen’ these incidents, they didn’t allegedly happen a million years ago. I was born after the Civil Rights Movement had ended. I consider the 8-Track Tape an antique. So these incidents were pretty recent. I also didn’t imagine these things happening – anymore than Trayvon Martin imagined some random guy following him as he walked to his own home that fateful night on February 26, 2012. ‘Imagining’ I am not. But what I am – and what the myriad of other African-American women and girls are – is tired. We are tired of having to cope with the burden of constantly being told – both covertly and overtly – that we don’t belong places where we have every right to be.

PBO speaking in Jacksonville, FL

Lufkin man’s ‘I am Trayvon Martin’ photo goes viral
    Posted: Jul 23, 2013 3:44 PM CDT Updated: Jul 23, 2013 3:59 PM CDT

By Jeff Awtrey – email

A Lufkin man’s photo which he posted on Facebook which shows him from four years ago and now has gone viral.

Corey Shy, 21, posted the photo to show how four years ago, he could have been labeled as a thug, like Trayvon Martin may have been portrayed when he was killed. However, Shy explains that he is now on his way to Texas A&M’s Health Science College of Medicine to become a doctor.

i am trayvon martin

Shy explains on his Facebook post, which as of Tuesday afternoon had netted more than 71,000 shares, that at age 17 he did not appear to have a promising future. But two months later, he began college at Prairie View A&M and began to study harder and eventually graduated Magna Cum Laude.

“The reason I am sharing this with you is because I COULD HAVE BEEN TRAYVON MARTIN!!! The defense team could have gone onto the Internet and found pictures of me that were similar to Trayvon’s pictures and characterized me as a thug,” Shy wrote on his Facebook post. “I could have been portrayed an aggressor and it may have lead to my death. If that would have happened, then I would not have had the opportunity to reach my true calling, which is to become a medical doctor.”

Shy explains that Martin could have gone on to the a doctor, lawyer or engineer and that he wants people to be more conscious of their racial profiling.

“Everyone has the potential, as long as they are alive, to achieve greatness and make a positive impact on this world,” Shy wrote.

STAND YOUR GROUND

Joy-Ann Reid: No Florida trip for me

BY JOY-ANN REID

joyannreid@gmail.com

I’m supposed to be in Florida next week. There’s a media convention in town, and I have friends who live nearby in Orlando. In fact, my closest friends live in Florida. Two of my three children were born in Miami, and my husband and I spent our honeymoon, bought our first home and raised the kids there during some of the most significant times in their lives. They still talk to their South Florida friends almost daily on Facebook.

Florida for us was soccer practice and games on Saturdays, trips to the pool and the beach. (Though not as often as you’d think because, man, is it hot!)

I started my career in news there, and it was where I worked on my first campaign, and my second — the whirlwind weeks I spent as a press aide to Barack Obama’s history-making 2008 campaign. People often forget that I’m Brooklyn-born and Denver-raised. “You’re from Florida, right?” is as common a question for me as “is it Joy or Joy-Ann?”

But right now, I’m giving Florida a rest. I’m not joining a mass boycott, just a personal one. And it’s not because I simply don’t like the outcome of a particular second-degree murder trial. Like Stevie Wonder, I’m making a decision for me.

I’m quitting Florida tourism for now, because my conscience won’t let me travel to a state that I love, but where it’s not safe for my sons to walk the streets. In Florida, and 22 other states with similar laws, but particularly in Florida because of how Stand Your Ground was written, anyone who finds you threatening has a license to shoot you, based solely on the perception in their mind that you were threatening to hurt them. You don’t even have to actually hurt them. As long as a jury of as few as six people believe it was reasonable for them to fear you, they will walk.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/24/3519323/joy-ann-reid-no-florida-trip-for.html#storylink=cpy

Thursday, July 25, 2013
    A “southern strategy” for the 21st century

No one can deny that the the Republican Party is in disarray these days. We recently saw a group of Senators challenge Sen. McConnell’s leadership by breaking a filibuster on Obama administration nominees. A bipartisan group of Senators passed comprehensive immigration reform – including a pathway to citizenship for undocumented workers and the Republican establishment/grassroots is split down the middle on whether to support it in the House. Sen. Rand Paul has chosen to support Sen. Enzi in the primary challenge coming from Liz Cheney and Senators Ted Cruz and Rand Paul have joined Sen. Gillibrand in her fight against military sexual assaults – which Bill Kristol called a “pseudo-crisis.”

And yet folks like Greenwald and Serwer are feigning surprise that yesterday the vote on the Amash Amendment in the House was bipartisan. Either they haven’t been paying attention or their surprise is disingenuous.

In case you didn’t notice, there is a theme that runs through my litany describing the disarray up above…and his name is Rand Paul. That’s the same Rand Paul too many liberals decided to stand with in his ridiculous filibuster and who’s father Edward Snowden voted for in 2012.

No one doubts that Rand Paul is in the early stages of a campaign to run for president in 2016. His only hope for success given the sad state of affairs in the Republican Party is that he can develop a coalition of tea partiers and lefty emos (ie, white people) to challenge the national dominance of the Democratic Party. Today’s article by Greenwald (linked above) is nothing short of a clarion call for just that.

To say that there is a major sea change underway – not just in terms of surveillance policy but broader issues of secrecy, trust in national security institutions, and civil liberties – is to state the obvious. But perhaps the most significant and enduring change will be the erosion of the trite, tired prism of partisan simplicity through which American politics has been understood over the last decade. What one sees in this debate is not Democrat v. Republican or left v. right. One sees authoritarianism v. individualism, fealty to The National Security State v. a belief in the need to constrain and check it, insider Washington loyalty v. outsider independence…

The sooner the myth of “intractable partisan warfare” is dispelled, the better. The establishment leadership of the two parties collaborate on far more than they fight. That is a basic truth that needs to be understood.

Will the GOP’s North Carolina End Run Backfire?

Amid an outburst of right-wing energy, North Carolina is set to pass one of the most restrictive voting laws in the nation. But the experiences of other states should tell them how badly it could backfire.

by Richard L. Hasen Jul 24, 2013 11:48 AM EDT

Anyone wondering about the importance of the Supreme Court’s recent ruling hobbling a key part of the Voting Rights Act needs look no further than North Carolina, whose Republican legislature is poised to enact one of the strictest voting laws in the nation, one that will make it harder to register and vote, likely hurting minority voters most. North Carolina is making it more difficult to vote now because it can, but recent experience in Florida and elsewhere shows it is a decision North Carolina Republicans may come to regret.

Until last month, 40 of North Carolina’s 100 counties were covered by Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act. This meant that the state could not make any changes in its voting rules, however major or minor, without first getting permission from either the U.S. Department of Justice or a three-judge court in Washington, D.C. To get approval, it was up to North Carolina to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the feds that any proposed voting changes wouldn’t have the purpose or effect of making minority members worse off.

Fat chance the DOJ or a three-judge court would have given approval of House Bill 589, at least as it passed out of a Senate Committee after a raucous session this week. The bill is a nightmare for voting-rights advocates: not only does it include a strict voter-ID law and provision shortening early voting and eliminating same-day voter registration for early voting, but it’s also a laundry list of ways to make it harder for people to vote, and which cannot plausibly be justified on antifraud grounds. WRAL describes some of its other provisions:

•Eliminate pre-registration for 16- and 17-year-olds, who currently can register to vote before they turn 18.
    •Outlaw paid voter registration drives.
    •Eliminate straight-ticket voting.
    •Eliminate provisional voting if someone shows up at the wrong precinct.
    •Prohibit counties from extending poll hours by one hour on Election Day in extraordinary circumstances, such as in response to long lines.
    •Allow any registered voter of a county to challenge the eligibility of a voter rather than just a voter of the precinct in which the suspect voter is registered.
    •Move the presidential primary to first Tuesday after South Carolina’s primary if that state holds its primary before March 15. That would mean North Carolina would have two primaries during presidential elections.
    •Study electronic filing for campaign returns.
    •Increase the maximum allowed campaign contribution per election from $4,000 to $5,000.
    •Loosen disclosure requirements in campaign ads paid for by independent committees.
    •Repeal the publicly funded election program for appellate court judges.
    •Repeal the requirement that candidates endorse ads run by their campaigns.

Thanks to the Supreme Court, this measure no longer requires federal approval before it can go into effect. And while we can be sure that voting-rights advocates will challenge this law in court once it passes, they will do so under much tougher voting-rights standards. Many of these laws could well pass constitutional review under other Roberts Court precedents that have been none-too-friendly to voting rights and challenges to voter-identification laws.

There seems little doubt that the Republican legislature has passed these laws in an attempt to gain partisan advantage. As Nate Cohn explains, a recent study by the State Board of Elections on just the voter-ID portion of the law certainly would have its greatest negative impact on nonwhite voters likely to vote for Democrats, and likely many other parts of the law will as well.

VIDEO: Corporate CEOs admit pushing credit agencies to lower Illinois’s bond rating as part of attack on pensions

Posted by GottaLaff

· Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Relevant segment at around the 47-minute mark.

Via IllinoisChannelTV, Mar 8, 2013:

From the Union League Club of Chicago: Former Attorney-General Ty Fahner, who now heads the Civic Committee of the Commercial Club of Chicago, talks about the urgent need to cut the cost of state pensions.

H/t: @johnvmoore who said, “I believe corporations screwing a state’s bond rating is huge.” Why yes, yes it is.

Via We Are One Illinois (bolding is mine) released the following statement. They are responding to Ty Fahner, president of the Civic Committee of the Commercial Club of Chicago, who said that members of that committee lobbied major credit agencies to downgrade the bond ratings of Illinois:

Coalition Calls for Investigation into Corporate CEOs Who Lobbied for Illinois Bond Downgrades

“Ty Fahner and unnamed members of his corporate-backed committee have shown their true colors. Fahner bragged openly about joining members of the business-backed group, behind closed doors, in lobbying credit rating agencies to lower Illinois’ bond ratings in an irresponsible and unethical attempt to put the state in an even more difficult position. They show total contempt for the taxpaying public, total disregard for the difficult fiscal challenges the state faces, and total hypocrisy over their alleged care for the working families of Illinois.”

In addition, a serious conflict of interest may exist if either these unnamed CEOs or the big corporations they control profited in any way from lobbying to make Illinois pay more interest on its bonds — bonds which they or their corporations may hold. […]

Yesterday, Capitol Fax shared a video of Fahner speaking before the Union League Club, where he said, “Me and some of the people that make up the Civic Committee…did meet with and call…Moody’s and Fitch [Ratings] and Standard and Poor’s…and say, ‘How in the hell can you guys do this [maintain the state’s credit rating]? You know, you are an enabler to let the state continue. You keep threatening more and more and more.’”

Fahner then took credit for the subsequent downgrades to Illinois’ credit ratings, stating, “But if you watch what happened in the last few years, it’s been steadily down. Before that, it’s been the blind eye.”

Conservatives Gear Up For War To Keep Top Women’s Rights Attorney Off The Bench

By Ian Millhiser on Jul 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

Two years ago, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg warned that her historic work for the ACLU to achieve constitutional equality for women “would probably disqualify me” from confirmation if she were nominated to the bench today. Twenty-three years after Justice Ginsburg became a judge, President Obama nominated another top women’s rights attorney to the court where Ginsburg began her service on the bench. How the Senate receives this nominee, Georgetown Law Professor Nina Pillard, will demonstrate whether Ginsburg was right that a lawyer whose career path parallels her own can no longer become a judge — and leading conservatives are already prepping to make Ginsburg’s fears a reality.

The parallels between Ginsburg’s and Pillard’s careers are striking. Both women worked for the ACLU. Both became leading scholars of civil procedure at top law schools. And both litigated several of the most significant women’s rights cases to reach the Supreme Court during their careers as practicing attorneys. Ginsburg, for her part, authored the brief in Reed v. Reed that led a unanimous Supreme Court to hold for the first time that the Constitution ensures equal rights under law for women. Her subsequent brief in Craig v. Boren convinced the Court that government gender discrimination will be subject to heightened constitutional scrutiny.

Nearly three decades after Craig, Pillard argued and won Nevada Department of Human Resources v. Hibbs before Ginsburg and her fellow justices — arguably the most important case in the last decade enabling women with families to have a fair opportunity to participate in the workplace. Similarly, Pillard litigated United States v. Virginia, which ended the Virginia Military Institute’s discrimination against women and cemented the modern rule that no law may treat women differently than men unless there is an “exceedingly persuasive justification” for doing so. Justice Ginsburg wrote the Court’s opinion in the Virginia case.

So, beyond Justice Ginsburg herself, few lawyers have done more to advance the cause of women’s equality than Nina Pillard — and few lawyers have been as successful in their efforts to do so. By confirming Pillard to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, the Senate will ensure that the two women’s perspective as leading advocates for women’s justice will not be absent from the bench on the day the elderly Ginsburg retires.

That is, of course, if Pillard is confirmed. On the eve of her confirmation hearing, the influential Family Research Council warned of Pillard’s “militant feminism” and proclaimed that “America can’t afford to give a lifetime appointment to a radical ideologue!” Ed Whelan, a former Scalia clerk whose views often drive Republican senators’ questions at judicial confirmation hearings, fixated on an article Pillard published entitled “Our Other Reproductive Choices: Equality in Sex Education, Contraceptive Access, and Work-Family Policy” in order to argue that Pillard shows a “remarkable ambition to use the Constitution to impose and advance her own dogmatic belief.”

With Voting Rights Act Gutted, Florida Set To Resume Voter Purge

By Aviva Shen on Jul 25, 2013 at 9:08 am

Florida’s controversial initiative to screen for suspected non-citizens and purge them from the voter rolls is allowed to officially resume, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

A Hispanic civil rights group and two naturalized citizens sued last year to block the purge, arguing that it needed to be approved by the federal government because five Florida counties were covered under the Voting Rights Act. After the U.S. Supreme Court tossed out a key section of the law, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit had little choice but to dismiss the suit. Secretary of State Ken Detzner (R) said he plans to resume the voter purge.

In 2012, the Department of Justice warned that Florida’s voter purge, which targeted roughly 180,000 people, was illegal, and all of the state’s county election supervisors refused to execute the purge. The lists of flagged individuals — many of whom had Latino-sounding names — also turned out to be largely inaccurate. These flagged individuals would receive notifications in the mail notifying them that they had 30 days to contest the purge.

The state had to partially settle with a civil rights group and restore suspected non-citizens to the rolls, but soon tried to re-start the purge just a month before the November presidential election with a drastically pared down list of 198 voters.

After all the legal battles and thousands of wasted taxpayer dollars, the state could not turn up virtually any non-citizens who were registered to vote.

Florida voters, particularly in minority-heavy urban areas, suffered some of the longest lines and most chaotic elections in the country last year. The mayhem was largely created by Republican lawmakers’ efforts to suppress votes. Besides trying to purge voters, Republicans cut the number of early voting days in half, changed ballot length restrictions so they could add frivolous constitutional amendments to 12-page ballots, and restricted voter registration. These voter suppression efforts discouraged at least 201,000 Floridians from voting, and black and Latino voters waited nearly twice as long as white voters. The backlash was so fierce that even Gov. Rick Scott (R), the primary defender of these voter suppression laws, agreed to sign an election reform law undoing most of the damage.

Prominent Florida Republicans admitted shortly after the election that the motive behind all these election law changes was to make it harder for Democrats to vote.

Jana M ‏@JanaMirrh23 Jul
    The cop that spreads hate for Barack Obama and belittles Trayvon is the one who leaked fake story of GZ being a hero https://www.facebook.com/patri… …

get ready to be mad after reading the article

………………………………….

Paula Deen’s Cook Tells of Slights, Steeped in History

By KIM SEVERSON

Published: July 24, 2013

Dora Charles and Paula Deen were soul sisters. That’s what Ms. Deen called the black cook from the start, even before the books and the television shows and the millions of dollars.

For 22 years, Mrs. Charles was the queen of the Deen kitchens. She helped open the Lady & Sons, the restaurant here that made Ms. Deen’s career. She developed recipes, trained other cooks and made sure everything down to the collard greens tasted right.

“If it’s a Southern dish,” Ms. Deen once said, “you better not put it out unless it passes this woman’s tongue.”

The money was not great. Mrs. Charles spent years making less than $10 an hour, even after Ms. Deen became a Food Network star. And there were tough moments. She said Ms. Deen used racial slurs. Once she wanted Mrs. Charles to ring a dinner bell in front of the restaurant, hollering for people to come and get it.

“I said, ‘I’m not ringing no bell,’ ” Mrs. Charles said. “That’s a symbol to me of what we used to do back in the day.”

For a black woman in Savannah with a ninth-grade education, though, it was good steady work. And Ms. Deen, she said, held out the promise that together, they might get rich one day.

Now, Ms. Deen, 66, is fighting empire-crushing accusations of racism, and Mrs. Charles, 59 and nursing a bad shoulder, lives in an aging trailer home on the outskirts of Savannah.

“It’s just time that everybody knows that Paula Deen don’t treat me the way they think she treat me,” she said.

• rikyrah says:

best comment about this article…sums up how I feel:

itgurl

I feel for that sista. It was her recipes and her work in the kitchen that built Paula Deen’s empire. It her work and she’s making 10 bucks an hour and living in an old trailer, taking care of her 4 grandchildren. I feel for this woman, I really do. But the SLAVE MENTALITY! I just can’t. I cannot. She still refuses to say she deserves money for the empire SHE built. She won’t press the matter in court because she doesn’t want to deal with the “mess”. She even talks about how she must remain friends with Paula if she wants to call herself a good Christian.

I just can’t. SMH. There are black folk in this country still living under Jim Crow and they don’t even realize it. In fact, they accept it. Reading this article, it is absolutely no wonder that Paula and her family were able to get away with their racist and illegal crap for years. And it sounds like Ms. Charles is now choosing to continue to let them get away with it out of some sick loyalty to “Ms. Paula”, even though the entire country is on her side.

SMH, I cannot. This article made me so mad. At the way this woman was treated and how she was cheated out of millions. It makes me angry that she just accepts this and is ready to continue to let them cheat her out of her money. This whole situation is just some sick plantation shit. Ain’t no way in hell I’m gonna be created recipes and cooking in somebody else’s restaurant while I watch them make 15 million bucks a year and I’m making 10 DOLLARS AN HOUR and living in a trailer with a rotted floor! Hell no! How in the hell do you just let that go on? How in the hell do you just sit and endure that kind of treatment.

This whole story is just…I can’t. SMH. I’m so pissed off after reading that mess.

• Ametia says:

Yep, Ms. Charles is still on the PLANTATION. See, this is why she can’t have nice things.

Slave-img4186

[caption id="attachment_47590" align="alignnone" width="640"]President Barack Obama signs a photograph as he greets people on the tarmac upon arrival at Louis Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans, La., July 25, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza) President Barack Obama signs a photograph as he greets people on the tarmac upon arrival at Louis Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans, La., July 25, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza)[/caption]

17. R.I.P. Man Who Risked His Life By Identifying Emmett Till’s Killers Passes Away At Age 76

willie reed

A Chicago man who was one of the last remaining witnesses of what many call the “spark of the civil rights movement” has died. Willie Reed was 18 years old when he witnessed the murder of Emmett Till in Mississippi. Reed moved to Chicago after the trial. He told prosecutors that he saw the two men charged with Till’s murder driving a truck with the boy in the back, and then later heard screams coming from a nearby barn. Despite fearing for his life, Reed came forward and testified at trial. “He said even though he was scared, he had to testify, he had to tell what he saw,” said Julie Louis, Willie Reed’s wife. When Willie Reed moved to Chicago, he changed his name to Willie Louis. He was 76. A memorial service is planned for Wednesday.

PBO will deliver remarks in Jacksonville, FL. this afternoon. SYG, Mr. President!

For Jordan Davis’ parents, a bond with Trayvon’s family, and prayers for a different trial outcome
    by Joy-Ann Reid | July 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Ron Davis and Lucia McBath sit across the table from their attorney, John Philips, in the restaurant downstairs from their New York hotel. They’re in the city to do another in a series of television interviews booked sporadically since their 17-year-old son, Jordan Davis, was gunned down in a Jacksonville, Florida gas station parking lot last November 23rd, the day after Thanksgiving.

They order breakfast, and Davis recounts growing up in Queens, New York, though he was born in Harlem. He says his father was a boxing fan who once introduced him to Archie Moore. He smiles as he talks about meeting the late Angelo Dundee, who trained Muhammad Ali.

McBath, a Chicago native with a ready smile, raised Jordan on her own in his early years in Georgia, where the boy was born. The couple lived for about a year in Jacksonville and then near Atlanta after meeting in Texas, and later divorced. They share a connection to Delta airlines where she’s a flight attendant and from which Davis recently retired, after 33 years in Delta sales. McBath was recently named a national spokesperson for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.

Davis, who is remarried, still lives in Jacksonville, where Jordan attended Samuel W. Wolfson High School, a magnet school which awarded the slain teen a posthumous diploma in June, which his parents accepted for him. He says the community has “taken Jordan to its bosom.”

McBath can’t imagine ever living in Florida again, or even visiting her timeshare there — though she will be in Jacksonville for the trial of the man who killed their son, expected to start September 23rd.

African American Support For The Supreme Court Tanks After Court Stomps Voting Rights

By Ian Millhiser on Jul 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Last March, before the Supreme Court neutered a key prong of the Voting Rights Act, 61 percent of African Americans viewed the Supreme Court favorably and less than one quarter had an unfavorable opinion. In the wake of the five Republican justices’ voting rights decision, however, black support for the Court dropped precipitously. According to a Pew poll, 44 percent of American Americans now have a favorable impression of the Court and 41 view it unfavorably.

Almost immediately after Chief Justice John Roberts announced the Court’s decision gutting much of the Voting Rights Act, conservative lawmakers started moving forward with voter suppression plans. Texas’ attorney general announced that his state’s voter ID law would take effect just two hours after the Supreme Court’s decision — and several other states were close behind. Arizona Republicans launched a push for less “competitive” voting districts in the wake of the decision. And North Carolina Republicans are about to enact the worst voter suppression bill in the nation.

@thinkprogress
    African American support for the Supreme Court falls off a cliff after it gutted the Voting Right Act http://thkpr.gs/137E4po

22. Holder: Justice Dept. will contest Texas redistricting

******************
    SNAP!

Justice Department to challenge states’ voting rights laws

The Justice Department is preparing to take fresh legal action in a string of voting rights cases across the nation, U.S.officials said, part of a new attempt to blunt the impact of a Supreme Court ruling that invalidated a critical part of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. The Justice Department is expected to use other sections of the Voting Rights Act to bring lawsuits or take other legal action to prevent states from
    implementing certain laws, including requirements to present certain kinds of identification in order to vote.

24. Justice Department to challenge states’ voting rights laws

The Justice Department is preparing to take fresh legal action in a string of voting rights cases across the nation, U.S. officials said, part of a new attempt to blunt the impact of a Supreme Court ruling that the Obama administration has warned will imperil minority representation.

The decision to challenge state officials marks an aggressive effort to continue policing voting rights issues and follows a ruling by the court last month that invalidated a critical part of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Justices threw out Section 5 of the landmark act, which protects minority voters by requiring certain states with a history of discrimination to be granted Justice Department or court approval before making voting law changes.

@JamesPMorrison
    Sanford PD is right out of a Twilight Zone episode about an ugly Southern town trying to make a killer look beautiful with a heroic makeover

26. Congressman mocks efforts to protect African American civil rights, compares it to wildlife preservation.

http://thkpr.gs/170r4Q5 #icymi

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) compared the civil rights of African Americans and other minorities to the rights of animals during a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Wednesday, sparking outrage from lawmakers.

Gohmert made the remarks as the panel considered a bill that could “prevent federal regulatory actions from being implemented.” Currently, the federal government relies on consent decrees to settle lawsuits from advocacy organizations challenging agencies for failing to take regulatory action or missing statutory deadlines. The GOP-backed bill would allow anyone whose rights are affected by the decree to intervene in the settlement, significantly delaying the action.

Democrats offered an amendment, sponsored by Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN), that would have prohibited third parties from intervening in any regulatory action that prevents or is intended to prevent discrimination on the basis of race, sex, national origin, or other protected characteristic. Consent decrees had been pivotal to enforcing civil rights laws, Cohen and Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) argued, and noted that advocates used the consent decree process to protect minority communities from police misconduct and brutality.

But Gohmert objected to the amendment and insisted that the bill had nothing to do with the civil rights and would primary impact rules and regulations that pertain to fish, wildlife, and the environment. He then proceeded to mock Democrats’ concerns about minorities by joking that they were interested in protecting the liberties of snails and other animals:

GOHMERT: There is nobody in this chamber who is more appreciative than I am for the gentleman from Tennessee and my friend from Michigan standing up for the rights of race, religion, national religion of the Delta Smelt, the snail darter, various lizards, the lesser prairie chicken, the greater sage grouts and so many other insects who would want someone standing for their religion, their race, their national origin and I think that’s wonderful.

27. Yahtc says:

Chart of the gun lobby, etc. with the sad results:

NSA surveillance: narrow defeat for amendment to restrict data collection

First major challenge to NSA’s bulk collection of phone records defeated by only 217 votes to 205 in House of Representatives
    • The full roll call of votes

The first major legislative challenge to the National Security Agency’s bulk collection of phone records from millions of Americans was defeated by only a narrow margin on Wednesday, sending a clear signal to the Obama administration that congressional anger about the extent of domestic surveillance is growing.

Despite a concerted lobbying effort by the White House and senior intelligence figures, the attempt to rein in the NSA failed by only 12 votes. The final vote was 205 in favor and 217 against, exposing deep restiveness in Congress over the wisdom and constitutionality of the bulk surveillance on Americans less than two months after the Guardian exposed it, thanks to leaks from whistleblower Edward Snowden. A shift of seven votes would have changed the outcome.

Civil libertarians disappointed by the vote promised not to relent in opposing what they consider an unnecessary and unconstitutional violation of Americans’ privacy.

The principal author of the effort, Michigan Republican Justin Amash, said he introduced his amendment to the annual Defense Department appropriations bill to “defend the fourth amendment, to defend the privacy of each and every American.”

In opposition, the chairman of the House intelligence committee, Mike Rogers of Michigan, asked: “Have we forgotten what happened on September 11?” Swiping at Amash, who was supported by an online campaign, he asked: “Are we so small we can only look at how many Facebook likes we have?”

Congressman Mac Thornberry, a Texas Republican on the intelligence committee, called the abridgment of the NSA’s power “foolhardy,” saying it was an “overreaction that increases the danger” from terrorism.

There were some unlikely alliances: the Democratic minority leader, Nancy Pelosi, voted against the amendment with Michele Bachmann, a Tea Party Republican. John Boehner, the House speaker, found himself in the rare position of being on the same side as President Obama.

Mother of Golf Prodigy in Hazing Death Defied by FratPAC
    By David Glovin – 2013-07-24T20:42:50Z

Harrison Kowiak was 19 years old when he died after schoolmates pummeled him on a pitch-black field in Hickory, North Carolina. It was part of a fraternity hazing.

Determined to protect other students, Kowiak’s mother Lianne devoted herself to fighting hazing. She thought she had a powerful ally in U.S. Representative Frederica Wilson, who calls herself the “Haze Buster” and backed Florida’s tough anti-hazing law as a member of the state legislature in 2005.

Standing beside Wilson at a Capitol Hill news conference in September, Kowiak helped display a 10-foot-long banner headed “Hazing Kills,” and depicting a cemetery. As Wilson vowed to deny financial aid to students who engage in hazing, Kowiak applauded. What Kowiak didn’t know was that, behind the scenes, the fraternity industry’s political arm, known as “FratPAC,” had been pressing Wilson to back off. Today, 19 months after Wilson first promised an anti-hazing bill, she hasn’t filed one.

The industry’s lobbying is “disgusting,” Kowiak said in an interview. “What are the priorities here?” They “should be to stop hazing so none of our youth have to go through it.”

Even as deaths and injuries proliferate at their local chapters, traditional college fraternities resist a federal role in punishing hazing, contending that Wilson’s proposal would infringe on student rights and that existing state criminal laws are sufficient.

What’s motivating some of Obama’s black critics?
    By LZ Granderson, CNN Contributor
    updated 7:08 PM EDT, Tue July 23, 2013

(CNN) — Tavis Smiley: Bitter, party of one.

What else can you say about an accomplished but jaded black scholar who continues to behave like a Twitter troll when it comes to President Obama? Why does he unfairly criticize Obama? Could it be because of a bruised ego?

It may have started back in February 2008.

Smiley, an author, media personality and leading voice in the black community, invited then-Sen. Barack Obama to speak at his “State of the Black Union” forum in New Orleans. Obama declined, opting instead to campaign because he was locked in a tough primary with Sen. Hillary Clinton, who did attend the forum.

In his place, Obama offered to send his wife, Michelle. Anyone who has seen the first lady speak knows this is hardly a consolation prize.

Smiley said no thanks.

Obama sent a letter, reiterating the importance of the forum, and asked Smiley to reconsider.

He didn’t.

And thus, the rift.

In 2011, Smiley was on C-Span claiming that Obama was “the first president in my professional career that hasn’t invited me to the White House.” Though truth be told, I’m not prone to inviting people who diss my better half over to the house either.

this is the whoop ass gif for the 3CHICS gif collection:

Eight Compelling Reasons for a Federal Prosecution of Zimmerman
    Posted by Earl Ofari Hutchinson on July 22, 2013 at 8:00am

The moment the NAACP, the Reverend Al Sharpton and other civil rights organizations publicly demanded that the Justice Department conduct a federal probe into the Trayvon Martin slaying and George Zimmerman’s acquittal for killing him with a view toward bringing civil rights charges against him, volumes were written and spoken as to why the department supposedly couldn’t or shouldn’t prosecute him. There’s one problem with all this. Most argue that charging Zimmerman with a hate crime in the Martin killing won’t fly because there’s no basis for that from the apparent evidence. But that’s not the only reason, in fact there are eight of them, the Justice Department can consider a
    “compelling federal interest” in prosecuting a defendant after a
    failed state prosecution, They are clearly spelled out in the Justice
    Department’s guidelines under the subsection: “Initiating and declining Charges—Substantial Federal Interest.”

need those cooning graphics, Ladies.

…………………………….

@Rima_Regas
    Peterson: Barack & ‘Angry Black Female’ Michelle Obama Trying ‘To Take Power Away From the White Man’ http://www.rightwingwatch.org/… … @CharlesMBlow

………………………………………………….

Peterson: Barack and ‘Angry Black Female’ Michelle Obama Trying ‘To Take Power Away From the White Man’

Submitted by Brian Tashman on Wednesday, 7/24/2013 3:35 pm

Jesse Lee Peterson is one of the right-wing extremists who helped organize this month’s “DC March for Jobs,” an anti-immigrant rally featuring Sen. Ted Cruz, Sen. Jeff Sessions, Rep. Mo Brooks and former Rep. Allen West that included the usual mix of racism and hyperbole.

As one of the key figures in the Black American Leadership Alliance, which staged the March for Jobs, Peterson has emerged as one of the nativists’ favorite critics of immigration reform.

In a speech to the conspiratorial, anti-Semitic John Birch Society last year, Peterson expanded on his claims that President Obama is racist and demonic, charging that “Barack Obama hates white Americans” and represents “evil.”

He also took issue with First Lady Michelle Obama: “We have an angry black female in control and if you want to know what an angry black female can do to you, go to the Post Office.”

Later, Peterson claimed the president “wants to take power away from the white man and give it to people who [want] handouts, with socialism mentalities.”

Trayvon Martin’s dad adds voice to help black men, boys

by Suzanne Gamboa, Associated Press | July 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM

The father of Trayvon Martin told black lawmakers Wednesday he is now dedicated to making sure people know who his 17-year-old really was and to prevent the trial of George Zimmerman, the man who shot him dead but was acquitted, to define the youth.

“I always say Trayvon was my hero. He saved my life. Not to be there in his time of need is real troublesome, not to be able to save my son’s life,” Tracy Martin said.

Martin opened comments by a panel of experts brought together by House members who formed the Congressional Caucus on Black Men and Boys to focus more attention on issues disproportionately affecting black men and boys. Some of those issues include unemployment, incarceration and racial profiling.

Trying to counter what he described as slander against his son, Martin said he wouldn’t allow the verdict to sum up his son.

“I vow to do everything in my power not to give up the fight for him, not only the fight for Trayvon but for so many other young black and brown boys in this country,” he said.

Congressional caucuses are made up of members of the House who share interest in a given issue and want to focus attention on it while suggesting possible legislative responses. They include special group caucuses such as the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.

@GrooveSDC
    So white ppl shouldn’t feel guilty about racism or slavery. But black ppl who are not criminals should feel guilty about crime statistics?

Commentary: Why White People Don’t See Racism
    Explaining the disconnect between Black and white Americans.
    By Keith Boykin

Posted: 07/24/2013 12:59 PM EDT

Next week I will participate in a racial discrimination hearing against a Manhattan night club that frisked and searched me when I attended on a “Black night” but does not search patrons on mostly white nights.

Last week, I was accused of stealing an iPhone by a white woman in Miami who came up to me and asked if she could search my pockets to find it. It was not a joke or a pickup line.

And just last month, I had to pull out my own iPhone to photograph and report the license plate and medallion number of a taxicab driver in New York’s Union Square who refused to pick me up and then drove across the street to pick up a white customer seconds later.

For many African-Americans, I suspect these stories aren’t entirely surprising. As President Obama said last week, racism is a daily part of our lives. Like air and water, it’s part of the environment in which we live. Yet far too many white Americans still live in denial about its persistence.

That’s the conclusion to be drawn not just from anecdotal experience but from a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll out Wednesday that showed a vast disparity between white and Black perceptions on race relations. The poll, conducted after George Zimmerman was acquitted for shooting unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, found that 52 percent of whites think race relations are “good” in America while 58 percent of Blacks describe race relations as “bad.”

The new poll numbers follow similar results from a Washington Post-ABC News poll two days earlier. In that poll, 86 percent of Blacks disapproved of the Zimmerman verdict while only 31 percent of whites felt that way. Even more disappointing is that 86 percent of African-Americans say Blacks and other minorities do not get equal treatment under the law, while only 41 percent of whites think that’s true.

So what explains the disconnect?

Years ago, I heard a law professor explain what I call the “magnet analogy.” Remember those big red and silver horseshoe magnets from high school? Now imagine you had to walk around the world with a huge horseshoe magnet on your neck. Aside from the heavy burden of carrying the extra weight, you’d quickly see the world a lot differently from those without the magnet.

The first thing you’d notice – there’s a lot of metal in the world. Keys, coins, cell phones, even appliances would suddenly get a lot more of your attention. Why? Because the magnet attracts them. But those without the magnet would continue to remain oblivious to the metal assault on your body.

That’s the experience for African-Americans every day. We’re surrounding and inundated by the metal of racism while those who do not carry the magnet of Blackness remain oblivious to our experience. To them, racism is a thing of the past.

• Yahtc says:

“far too many white Americans still live in denial about its persistence.”

yep

• Ametia says:

THIS: ” But Paula Deen aside, modern racism isn’t really about the N-word. New code words like Detroit, Chicago, “Stand Your Ground,” voter ID, food stamps and welfare now carry the same impact with dog whistle messages too subtle to be reported by many in the media. This seemingly race-neutral language allows the majority to engage in public discourse under the mantle of innocence and thus dismiss the vestiges and effects of hundreds of years of legally sanctioned white supremacy.

*The only racists in this vision are the people who complain about racism.” Notice when we use the words “cracka, ” whitey, or nigger, we’re supposed to be racists and hateful. We’re not supposed to give voice to our anger, outrage, frustrations. GTFOH!

And attending a few rallies with black folks doesn’t mean you don’t hold racial biases.

@HonestToddler
    My mom is going on Good Morning America tomorrow. I was left at home in case you’re wondering.

@HonestToddler
    I could have been good on an airplane. They didn’t even give me a chance.

@HonestToddler
    Business trips, date nights…adults you can’t just come in and out of your toddler’s life. Are you a parent or a cold sore?

@HonestToddler
    Please come home I broke the house

@HonestToddler
    She’s still not back. Maybe she met someone. Another toddler. One who listens.

@HonestToddler
    She went all the way to New York and all she could bring me is a half pack of M&Ms? This is why I’m bad.

from Camille about Weiner:

CamilleCamille

Just watched the replay of the Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell and I cannot agree with Peter Beinart and Joy Ann’s contention on marital infidelity being separate and apart from and unrelated to an elected official’s overall character, judgement, performance and ability in office–

The way they both put it tonight, some young men/women out there might actually begin to think that infidelity might after all be a perfectly acceptable and even normal rite of passage or some warped superstitious step that must and ought to be taken for one to be thought of as – or considered “great” or “successful” along with other notable “greats” like Clinton and JFK —

What an awful, hurtful, damaging and shallow idea to suggest, embrace or glorify– “Publicly cautious and privately reckless” – whatever that means Peter–

I find neither JFK or Bill Clinton to be “great” men or presidents. In fact, I find both and their so-called achievements completely unimpressive and non-compelling – and I’ve got absolutely no respect or use for either of these two people–

They are small, hollow, despicable “men”–

The very same perversions, compulsions and sliminess that instructed, informed and drove their base and deceitful ways as pathetic people and even more pathetic husbands, also permeated – and for Clinton still permeates, their every action in their roles as president and “men” —

As for Anthony Weiner, I’ve always thought that there was good reason why he didn’t marry as young and early as most ambitious politicians do who generally buy into the traditional public expectations of happily married – and lovely family–

It’s now clear that he understood and previously embraced the very issues he’s now publicly struggling with — and should have really stayed unmarried;

I very much applaud and especially appreciate a guy like George Clooney for making it clear to every woman he dates that there will not be marriage – or kids; I respect the fact that unlike so many, he refuses to mislead or bring any woman or children into whatever personal issues/limitations he understands and privately battles with, vis a vis marriage/kids/family expectations–

Weiner should have just stayed single and not roped in any wife or kid(s) into his personal issues — and it won’t have mattered as much —

Issues that had Weiner not decided to marry a few short years ago, might have perhaps been even less reason for those who now conveniently use that to try to push him out of the mayoral race — and for those who forced him out of Congress two years ago–

I never cared for Weiner and was one of those who cheered when he was finally exposed – after his nonstop attacks on, and disrespect of President Obama–

There are few things that have the power to impact, traumatize and permanently alter and destroy the lives of an unsuspecting partner in any committed relationship;

One is a seemingly perfectly heterosexual partner who wakes up one day after many years together – and tells you they’re gay and that they’ve been for years–

But when it comes to that sacred sacrament of marriage and the scourge that is infidelity, it can be so, so deeply awful–

As a sensitive and very Catholic woman and one who will never excuse away or forgive anyone who intrudes upon and threatens any marriage/partnership — or any spouse who does anything to even remotely dishonor their marriage vows– or bring such hurt and humiliation to his/her spouse–

I have even less use for those politicians who play up to and exploit their wives for the benefit of public approval and support — only to then later on very publicly humiliate and discard these very wives, when they feel like they no longer serve a political purpose for them–

When their new-found celebrity, in many instances, at the expense of and courtesy of the many sacrifices and effort of said wife, has every random floozy now hanging on to their husband’s every word and fawning over the guy–

And soon they get way carried away from all the breathless attention of the shallow flock now attracted to the fleeting power and artificially bestowed greatness – and all that it suddenly affords—

At which point the long-suffering wives suddenly seem to fall short in comparison– and are soon either forced to shut up and “share” — or are thrown over for some more accepting or acceptable replacement–

Infidelity even out of the public glare hurts – and has the potential to kill the soul of the spouse who’s been cheated on– It’s even worse while the public watches–

Any person so greedy and selfish and coldblooded – who for personal or political ambition and advancement, would deliberately entangle, exploit and in the end so publicly humiliate and hurt their spouse — is so unworthy of any sort of support, admiration or respect – no matter how supposedly “great” they might have been on “policy”–

I agree with those who’ve always contended that charity begins at home — And any person who’s incapable of living it, respecting and prioritizing and fully catering first and foremost, to the emotional and other needs of their own spouse, cannot be trusted — or even begin to pretend to care about complete strangers or the “needs” of a largely faceless general public —

• Ametia says:

Ain’t nobody got time for any of these men.

The MSM loves to distract by bringing our attention to these perverted public figures. Yet won’t air the President’s speeches to the American people.

The president has been in a solid marriage for over 2 decades without scandal, but they place these “Can’t keep my dick in my pants” white guys in the spotlight as someone to BEHOLD.

Good Morning, Everyone :)