Monday Open Thread | ‘Black Panther’ Bounds to Record-Shattering $218M

Black Panther,” Marvel’s first film directed by an African-American, brought in an estimated $192 million for its three-day debut in North America this weekend. That’s the fifth biggest opening of all time.

The opening for the film starring Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan did not just shatter expectations, it broke multiple box office records too.

It blew away the record for the largest opening for an African-American director. That belonged to F. Gary Gray and “The Fate of the Furious,” which opened to $98 million last April.

Disney estimates that the film will bring in $218 million domestically for the four day holiday weekend. The film brought in an opening of $361 million around the world.

“Black Panther” also shattered the record for an opening in February, which belonged to “Deadpool,” the R-rated superhero film from 20th Century Fox that brought in $132 million when it opened in 2016.

It is the second biggest opening for a Marvel Studios film, behind 2012’s “The Avengers.” It out paced other huge hits like “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Captain America: Civil War” and “Iron Man 3.” It is the studio’s 18th straight number one opening.

The record-breaking weekend is watershed moment for Hollywood. With “Black Panther” reaching box office heights that have eluded other African-American titles, the film’s totals could impact change in the industry by encouraging diversity in front of and behind the camera.

This entry was posted in Current Events, News, Open Thread, Politics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to Monday Open Thread | ‘Black Panther’ Bounds to Record-Shattering $218M

I love this tweet

4. yahtzeebutterfly says:

“You Have to See Black Panther in a Black Movie Theater to Really Understand It”

5. Here we go, folks!

7. Liked by 2 people

11. Liked by 2 people

12. Liked by 2 people

13. I heard the Xhosa clicks in the movie….

14. yahtzeebutterfly says:

Video: ‘Black Panther’ is more than a trip to the movies. It’s a celebration of black excellence

15. Liked by 2 people

ICYMI

Build-A-Bear now has an option for Black Panther.
    I will be getting one😄😄😄

19. I’m waiting on the Mothership, y’all.

I like that Disney went with it. They will go with a black show in a minute especially if they see the bottom line will be good.

21. Liked by 2 people

Peanut’s School had a skating party today. I am now freezing, sitting here watching the kids skate.

Good Morning Everyone 😄😄😄

24. Hey Chicas!

When we came out of the movie, my oldest and Haley did the arms crossed and some black people walking behind them started barking….Woof! Woof! Woof!

Bwa ha ha ha ha

25. Swing by and pick me up, Mythe

MYTHE: Anybody seen my folks in Wakanda? I need to get home sooner than later. They miss me. It’s a well kept secret on Google Maps tho ! The Mothership Connection…”if you hear any noise it’s just me and T’Challa getting home” #BLACKPANTHER coming forth to carry me home…..

26. Liked by 4 people

27. Liked by 4 people

• yahtzeebutterfly says:

Love this photo.

I have been printing out photos of Black movie goers dressed in Wakanda style. Let’s see…I have 40 photos so far in my Wakanda “theater” notebook. It’s history!! Needs to be preserved.

28. yahtzeebutterfly says:

Video: ‘Black Panther’: Letitia Wright (FULL INTERVIEW)

30. Liked by 2 people

34. …with his FINE SELF

35. Good morning, everyone!

I’m running a little behind this morning. We went to see Black Panther and got back late. The movie was everything. I’m just in awe. We all want to go see it again.