Right NOW, thi sis the only clip of Romney’s TOWN HALL on his web site.
FULL AUDIO HERE:
If his remarks today in Colorado are any indication, Mitt Romney just doesn’t get it. There’s a stark difference between where he and President Obama want to take this country. Mitt Romney’s plans encourage outsourcing. Barack Obama wants to end incentives to send jobs overseas. President Obama has fought to end tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas, fostered incentives for companies to bring jobs back to America and doubled the rate of trade cases we’ve brought against China to ensure an even playing field for American workers. Mitt Romney, who’s personally profited from investments in companies that were pioneers in shipping American jobs to India and China as a corporate buyout specialist, would slash funds to spur the clean energy sector in America, eliminating renewable energy jobs in states like Colorado and Iowa and ceding the industry to China. The American people deserve a President who will fight to create jobs here in America, not the Outsourcer-in-Chief Mitt Romney promises to be.”
hemming & hawing, and LYING
Watch the sideshow live here at 12:35 p.m.
Mitt Romney is the most secretive presidential candidate in modern history. He’s refused to release his tax returns, which would allow the American people to learn if he invested in offshore tax havens and accounts to avoid paying U.S. taxes, and been willfully vague about the details of his policies, including how he’d pay for his $5 trillion tax plan.
Key Questions for Mitt Romney to Answer at His Town Hall Today
As he holds his town hall in Colorado today, these are the questions he needs to answer:
1. He claims that he didn’t receive any tax advantage from any of his investments. If this is the case, what was the purpose of creating shell corporations and investing so much of his money in tax havens in the first place?
2. Does he still own the Bermuda shell corporation that came to light last week? Why did he transfer ownership of this mysterious corporation to a blind trust in his wife’s name the day before he was sworn in as governor? And why did he fail to report it on six straight financial disclosures?
3. If he has nothing to hide about his personal finances, why won’t he follow decades of precedent—set in motion by his father—and release additional years of tax returns?
4. He refuses to say how he’d pay for his plan to give $5 trillion in tax cuts—largely weighted to millionaires and billionaires and paid for by the middle class—but says he would eliminate tax deductions and other tax breaks. Which ones? Would he reduce or eliminate the deductions for mortgage interest, health insurance, charitable contributions, or state and local taxes? Would he reconsider his proposal to cut capital gains?
Answer these questions, Mitt Romney. What other questions should Mitt Romney be answering?
UPDATE: What is Mitt Romney hiding?
Rather than releasing Mitt Romney’s tax returns or coming clean on why he needed offshore accounts or explaining why he wants to give millionaires tax cuts at the expense of the middle class,Republicans are… launching an attack to try to distort the President’s consistent record of fighting for American jobs. Unfortunately for them, President Obama has always fought to encourage insourcing and secure a level playing field for American workers. Meanwhile, as CEO and owner of Bain Capital until August 2001, Mitt Romney undeniably ledinvestments in companies that shipped American jobs overseas.
The NY Times notes: “The [RNC] Web site gives very little backing for the charges, offering no citations to public documents or to news media reports about the allegations.” http://nyti.ms/NlIzjK
- Examples of the President’s record ofencouraging insourcing and fighting to bring jobs back to our shores, securing a level playing field for American workers, and fghting to end tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas is here [PDF]: http://bit.ly/MeVuno
- And our Truth Team compares President Obama’s record of insourcing with Romney’s record of outsourcing: http://bit.ly/L6f8Sk
The Obama campaign released a new video today: Romney refuses to reveal important details, including whether he uses tax loopholes availableonly to the super rich: http://bit.ly/Ld5PF3
- Maddow Blog: “There are severalunanswered questions about Romney’s offshore investments, and I’m afraid “I don’t manage them” isn’t much of a response.” http://on.msnbc.com/MfSn4K
- Think Progress: “former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (R) appeared to agree with Democrats who are calling on Mitt Romney to release more tax returns.” http://bit.ly/MfbOVX
- Daily Kos: “And of course there remains the big question: What is Mitt Romney hiding and why is he hiding it?” http://bit.ly/LM4IJf
- In case you’ve forgotten, Eclectablog reminds us that “Mitt Romney wants to give millionaires an average $390,000 tax break:” http://bit.ly/MXT2qF
And last but not least:
See the Obama campaign’s four-page Iowa report, “Mitt Romney’s Secret Tax Plan: How Many Middle Class Iowans Could Pay More”: “Mitt Romney’s tax plan is based on the idea that our economy grows from the top down. He would cut taxes deeply for the wealthiest, even as he guts investments that grow our economy and our middle class. … Mitt Romney has made clear that he will oppose President Obama’s plan to extend middle class tax cuts unless we also give millionaires a tax break.” http://bit.ly/NgrsDs